I first wrote this post in August 2017 (only a year ago 😱) but didn’t publish it as I was waiting to take some decent photos. I never did get round to photograph the original t-shirt I made, but I since made another so I photographed that one instead.
I was looking forward to this one as you can never have enough t-shirts in the wardrobe and it had an interesting high-low scooped hem.
My measurements put me below the extra small on the bust, a small on the hips and a medium on the waist. This is a common fitting problem I have, my measurements are all over the size chart. #mumtum
I cut a straight small for my first try as it was loose fitting and not fitted around the waist. My fabric only had 20% stretch and it came out on the larger size so I could probably get away with an XS next time, especially if I’m using a stretchier knit.
Being loose fitting means it’s perfect for everyday casual wear, which is my only style nowadays!
The fabric I brought from Girl Charlee USA. It was before the company launched a U.K. site so it’s been a while in my stash.
The standard version is longer than I thought. So I might try the cropped version next time.
My neckline isn’t great on this version. As the fabric didn’t have a lot of stretch I found it hard to stretch the neckband to fit the neck hole.
This is a great basic t-shirt. Construction is quick and simple. There are lots of possibilities with this pattern by changing the weight or stretch of the knit. I’m imagining some long sleeve winter versions in a French terry or sweater knit. There are so many fun print jerseys out there compared to a few years ago. Perhaps the new Cotton & Steel knits when they launch in a few months…I can’t wait for those!!!
This year (2018!) I made a second version of the pattern.
I chose a lighter weight knit this time. I think it’s a jersey/rayon. I bought it 3-4 years ago from the Simply Fabrics Brixton stall at a sewing exhibition. If I remember correctly it was only a few pounds per metre. (It looks really pink in this photo but it’s actually burgundy)
I left it in my stash for so long as I wasn’t sure how this lightweight knit would be to sew up. I’m use to sewing with stable cotton/jersey knits and thought it might get eaten up by the overlocker. I was also concerned the fabric might be too clingy and show off the lumps and bumps! However, I worried for nothing (what’s new!) and the fabric weight was perfect for this t-shirt. It also taught me that these types of knits are much better for making knit tops as they hang much better so in future will shop more for more jersey like this.
My neckline came out well first time and to hem the sleeves and hem I ironed and secured with a zig-zag stitch.
I sized down from last years version and there was still plenty of room, even with a baby bump. Pictured here I’m 23 weeks and still got a few weeks wear out of it. However I tried it on again around 31 weeks and due to the curved hem there was belly poking out of the bottom.
The low neckline will make it nursing friendly so hope to get lots more wear when the baby arrives.
This pattern is a great wardrobe staple. I’m currently working through the Seamwork, ‘Design Your Own Wardrobe’ project and think this will be ideal for some basic t-shirts. However, I mustn’t get distracted by beautiful print fabrics. My me-made wardrobe is full of interesting prints and hardly anything plain and this makes it difficult to combine separates.