Seamwork Adelaide

I last blogged about 2 years ago 😱 over at blogger, then life got busy and I stopped. I wasn’t planning on starting up again but I was thinking of the best way of recording my makes and I think this has to be it. Whenever I buy or sew a new pattern I always Google for blog reviews beforehand. So maybe the posts can be helpful to others.

I’ve sewn a few pieces so far this year and I’ll try and blog about those eventually.

Today’s post is all about the Seamwork Adelaide.


I subscribed to the Seamwork magazine when it first launched and other than the Oslo cardigan back in 2015 I didn’t use the patterns. This amounted to a lot of credits, so at the beginning of the year I downloaded a heap of patterns and cancelled my subscription.

I loved the Adelaide when it was first released. A simple button up tank dress, perfect for the summer. It has bust darts and fish eye darts in the back to give it some shape.  It comes with a belt and belt loops but I knew I would omit those. I don’t have much waist definition so I think belts make me look more bulky.

Every version I’ve seen on Instagram and various blogs look great so I had high hopes.

I’m trying to shop my stash of fabric and stop adding to it this year. I’ve failed so far and have added a lot to my stash but I have managed to cut into some older fabrics and use them up, so not a complete disaster!

phoca_thumb_m_fol_frida-la-catrina_7920c

 

I love Alexander Henry fabric. The prints are so unique and such vivid colours, I can’t resist buying them. The material isn’t great for dressmaking as they don’t drape well. I’ve tried many tops in quilting cottons that end up stiff and boxy. I’ve had this Alexander Henry boarder print, Frida La Catrina in my stash for a couple of years and thought it would look perfect. I purchased this at a sewing exhibition but it is still available from Fabric yard here.

I didn’t make a muslin. I have so little sewing time with the children about, I took a gamble and cut the good stuff. I went straight for the size 2 based on the finished garment measurements.

I saw on a couple of blogs about the armscye being drafted too small, but I completely forgot about that when I was cutting out the pattern 🤷🏽‍♀️ When I tried the dress on half way through construction I remembered. It was so tight. Like ridiculously so. As in, perfect for my 3 year old tight. I’d already sewn up the side seams so I just drew with a pen around one armhole where it would sit comfortably and cut it out. I then used that cut out piece as a template for the other side and cut around that to make them equal. I’ll now have to trace that onto the pattern for next time. I’m sure there’s a proper way to redraft the armscye, but this method worked for me.

Construction was quick and simple. Neckline and armholes are finished with bias binding. Press studs/snaps are used instead of buttons and buttonholes which saves heaps of time. I’ve got a little stash of snaps that I use for children’s clothes and I had a hard job choosing the colour. I think all 4 went well with the fabric but it was a toss up between the blue and pink. I chose the blue, but now wish I’d gone pink 🤦🏽‍♀️


I love this pattern. It would be better with a fabric with more drape but I’m still happy with my fabric choice.

This pattern is a great summer staple.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: